Rootstown Township Recycling
The Rootstown Township Recycling Center is located on New Milford Road close to the Lynn Road intersection. It is open from dawn to dusk.
The Township and the Portage County Solid Waste Management District co-sponsor an Annual Clean-Up Day to allow residents to recycle tires, paint and appliances at our New Milford Road location.
The date for the annual cleanup day will be posted on the town hall bulletin board several weeks before the event.
In 1998, Rootstown Residents recycled 706,705 tons of recyclable materials that otherwise would have gone into landfills.
- House Bill 592, passed by the Ohio General Assembly in June of 1988, requires that we reduce the amount of waste going into landfills by 25%.
- House Bill 592 was passed because Ohio has very little remaining landfill space.
- Yard waste was banned from landfills in December of 1994.
- One quart of motor oil disposed of improperly could contaminate 250,000 gallons of ground water.
- The DISTRICT RECYCLING CENTER is located at 3588 Mogadore Road in Brimfield Township and is open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Bill Steiner II is the coordinator of the Portage County Solid Waste Management District, which runs the center, the largest publicly-owned facility of its kind in the state. Visitors to the center can get a close-up look at the state-of-the-art recycling sorting system that uses a monster magnet, a huge vacuum cleaner, a rotating steel tube and a maze of conveyors to turn mountains of paper and containers into thirteen different commodities for resale.
You can bring your old appliances and paint to the center for recycling. The DISTRICT RECYCLING CENTER takes all reusable paint and blends it into new recycled paint for use by local charities, non-profit organizations and residents. Appliances can also be dropped off for recycling during normal business hours. Refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers and other appliances are baled and sold to local steel mills for remanufacturing into new steel products. A five-dollar ($5.00) charge applies only to appliances that contain Freon.